We’re prepared the following list of frequently asked questions in relation to FIAP distinction applications. This is a live document – further questions & answers may be added over time.
- What events allow me to collect FIAP acceptances?
The ONLY events that FIAP acceptances are awarded for are International Salons that receive FIAP Patronage (have a FIAP number eg 2012/123 – see FIAP website for a comprehensive list of salons, including historical listings back to 1979!), FIAP Biennials (FIAP Monochrome, Colour Print, DPI and Nature Biennials), and the FIAP Clubs World Cup. Please note that 80% of your application must be from Salons (not Biennials or the Clubs World Cup). No other events will be recognised for FIAP acceptances.
- Does the same Salon but in a different year count as one or two Salons?
They count as two salons. If for example, you enter the Tallaght Salon in 2014, and then again in 2015 and are lucky enough to get acceptances in both, then they both count towards your number of Salons target.
- How much does my first Distinction application cost?
Your first application will cost €105; €55 for the actual application and €50 for your first FIAP Photographers card. Thereafter subsequent applications are €55 per distinction. These figures include a €5 administration fee to cover IPF costs.
- How much does MFIAP application cost?
The MFIAP application costs €135 (including €35 administration fee to cover costs, postage etc).
- Do I have to send anything directly to FIAP?
No. Applicants must submit their application for distinction, CD with images and Photographers Card application etc, through the FIAP Liaison Officer only.
- For how long do I need to participate in FIAP salons before I can apply for an AFIAP distinction?
The applicant must have taken part in FIAP approved salons for at least one year.
- Once I have obtained AFIAP, when can I apply for EFIAP?
The applicant for EFIAP must be a holder of the AFIAP for at least 1 year.
- Are my awards cumulative for the EFIAP Levels (Bronze to Platinum)?
Under the revised regulations – issued in December 2015 and effective from 01 January 2016 – the count of acceptances and awards is reset to zero and you start counting again from date of EFIAP award.
- What is the FIAP-Code on the Photographers Card application form?
Enter I03 as the code and The Irish Photographic Federation as the organisation.
- In what format do I need to send my submitted images?
The images you submit to FIAP for your distinction must be sized as 3600 pixels on the longest side and saved as a high quality JPEG (level 10 – 12).Each image must be named as I03_SURNAME_Forename_title of image.JPG. These are then to be forwarded on CD to the FIAP Liaison Officer along with your application forms.
- Who is the FIAP Liaison Officer for Ireland?
The FIAP Liaison Officer for Ireland is Paul Stanley FIPF EFIAP ESFIAP from Dublin Camera Club. All applications for FIAP membership and for FIAP distinctions must be made to him at:Paul Stanley
8 Elmfield Grove
Paul can also be reached via ‘FIAP Distinctions’ Dropdown menu on our contact page.
- Which Irish events are qualifiers for the additional Irish requirements for AFIAP distinctions?
- IPF Print and Projected Image Finals (image scoring in top 35%)
- IPF Nature Finals (image scoring in top 35%)
- An Oige Open Competition (accepted for exhibition)
- Tallaght International Salon (accepted for exhibition)
- Cork International Salon (accepted for exhibition)
- SACC Creative Photography Competition 2015 (image scoring in top 35%)
- Can all my images be from projected images entries or do I have to have print acceptances too?
Under current regulations, for AFIAP 4 prints are required and for EFIAP 12 of the acceptances have to be obtained in ‘Print’ salons. These acceptances must be for prints, not projected images.
- Where can I find rules and application forms?
These are all located on our FIAP Distinctions Page.
- What do I need for 2016 applications under the new regulations?
Distinction Acceptances Images Salons Countries Awards Award Countries Prints Submitted Works AFIAP 40 15 15 8 4 5 ** EFIAP 250 50 30 20 2 * 2 12 5 ** EFIAP/b 200 50 5 4 * 4 4 EFIAP/s 300 100 10 5 * 5 5 EFIAP/g 500 150 15 6 * 6 6 EFIAP/p 700 250 20 7 * 7 7 EFIAP/d1 15 5 50 * 5 5 EFIAP/d2 30 7 100 * 6 6 EFIAP/d3 50 10 200 * 7 7 * Awards must be in different counties as stated, and also in different salons ** For AFIAP & EFIAP each submitted work must have at least 3 acceptances For EFIAP levels, each submitted work must be an awarded image with no country repeated in the submitted images