Note: Protocol and expenses updated December 2019
Following queries we have received from clubs about how to determine both how much to pay a guest speaker/judge and what the correct protocols are surrounding visits, we have put together this article with guidelines on appropriate fees and further information to ensure a good experience for all concerned. We understand that each club has its own policies regarding expenses and this document is provided as a guideline only. A downloadable version of this document is available at the bottom of this page.
Often a speaker/judge will find it difficult to set a fee themselves, so you now have the option of directing them here and checking if they are happy to follow these guidelines and accept the rates recommended by the IPF. The table at the bottom of the page provides expenses for a speaker/judge who is driving. If using another method of transport, they need to be reimbursed appropriately.
- After the initial booking a club should confirm booking in writing / email. A reminder text or email should be made to judge 2 weeks before lecture / judging.
- Club in advance should agree expense / fee and meal /accommodation requirements with lecturer / judge.
- After a single journey of 100km the judge/ lecturer should be offered a meal/ snack on arrival.
- After single journey of 150km or more the judge / lecturer should be offered local accommodation.
- Club should send a reminder to lecturer / judge 2 weeks before event giving clear directions to venue / meeting point. The club should discuss with lecturer what equipment is needed for the event and what facilities the club has available. The club must ascertain and supply equipment required unless otherwise agreed.
- The club should provide reserved parking close to venue and club members should give lecturer a hand to bring in prints and equipment.
- Expenses / fee must be paid to lecturer / judge on the night. Cash should be offered rather than a cheque. Do not embarrass guest by asking what expenses are on the night. Expenses are clearly given in table above or agreed in advance.
- The judge / lecturer is your guest and should be accorded good hospitality.
- A formal vote of thanks should be made on the night.
- A follow up thank you letter within 2 weeks of the event should follow from the club.
When booking high profile guests from UK or elsewhere do check in advance what their lecture fees are and what their air/ ferry costs are in addition to above protocol.
|Round Trip Distance (km)||Travel Expenses||Lecture/Judging Fee||Total Amount Due|
|Up to 40km||€20||€50||€70|
Leave a Reply